That turned out rather well, didn’t it.

Butterick 5880, a reissue of a 1951 pattern, is a winner!

frock frock2

It’s made from an old gold polyester curtain that probably came from an old dead person’s house. In fact, my fella said “We had those curtains in orange,” when he saw it. It has a weave shot with nubbly yellow and black, so it has that metallic shimmer that’s incredibly difficult to photograph.

This make is a cautionary tale in overcompensation. I added 4.5cm to the bodice length (for tallth, you know) only to shave it off again. Likewise, I cut the skirt wider only to resew all the seams 4cm narrower. Ah well – better too big than too small.

And because I love nose-to-tail eating, I used the curtain lining (lovely soft cotton sateen) as the interlining. If you look closely at the guts of the frock below, you’ll see bands of yellow staining from its decades of curtainry. This delights me no end. (Also, not shown: a tear in the front where light damage weakened the fibres. About this I am somewhat less delighted.)

 inside

Here’s more adjustification – pulling in the back waist darts and the back skirt seams to better follow the curve of my terrible posture.

IMG_3190in2

Anyhoo: I declare this a win. And will make again, if I can be arsed.

Advertisements